We love prepping this frittata the night before to pop in the oven for a warm breakfast any morning.
Though it’s easy to confuse a frittata with a quiche, there are two main differences (aside from their origin stories). Quiche is baked slowly in a savory crust, while frittata baked more quickly and is crustless. Also, because the crust lends a structural element, you won’t find as much (if any) cream in a frittata.
We bought our ingredients from the English Market, most specifically we used O’Sullivan’s Poultry & Game medium free-range eggs for this recipe. We bought the dried thyme from Mr. Bell’s. We bought the leek from The Farmer. We bought the butternut squash from Super Fruit.
Butternut Squash and Leek Frittata
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sliced leeks
- 6 large eggs
- 3/4 cup / 75g shredded mozzarella cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste or 1/2 teaspoon each
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- shredded cheese and fresh herbs for serving (optional garnish)
1. Preheat oven to 200C / 400F degrees.
2. In a 10-inch oven-safe skillet (you’ll also use this to bake the frittata), warm the oil over low-medium heat. Add the leeks and cook for 1 minute. Mix in the butternut squash and stir the mix for 5 minutes or until the squash is tender when speared with a fork. At that point, turn off the heat.
4. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs. Then fold in half of the cheese and mix completely. Blend in the salt, pepper, and dried thyme.
5. Transfer the leeks and butternut squash to small bowl for a moment as you melt the butter and add a little more olive oil to the pan, use a silicon brush to lightly coat the bottom and sides of the pan. Transfer the leeks and squash back to the pan to evenly cover the bottom. Gently pour the beaten egg mixture over the vegetables. Top with almost all the remaining shredded cheese.
6. Bake the pan covered in the oven for 15 minutes. Then uncover and let cook for another 5–15 minutes.
7. Serve warm. Garnish with any remaining shredded cheese.
Disclosure: We paid for all the ingredients.
Leave a Reply